Changing Your Name

Changing Your Name

Nevada does not allow you to designate a new married name on your marriage license. Follow the steps below in order to learn how to legally change your name after you have been married. 

Step 1: Get Married

You must have a marriage ceremony in the state of Nevada conducted by a licensed Marriage Officiant.

Step 2: Obtain Certified Proof of Marriage

After your ceremony, your Officiant has 10 calendar days to file your Marriage Certificate with our office. Once filed, obtain a certified copy for your records as it will be necessary to legally change your name. 

Step 3: Change Your Name Legally

Gather all the documents that show your complete history of name changes from birth forward including previous marriages, divorces, court orders, etc. Government agencies accept certified copies or original documents only - no photocopies! Once you have all your necessary documents, do the following in order:

Social Security

You must first notify the Social Security Administration of your name change if you have a U.S. Social Security Number.

  • U.S. citizens must present the Marriage Certificate and a U.S. Driver’s License/ID or a U.S. passport
  • Social Security accepts some alternate ID documents and may ask for additional documentation
  • Non-citizens must present the Marriage Certificate, proof of immigration status and proof of work eligibility
  • For more information, visit or call (800) 772-1213

Driver’s License

After changing your name with Social Security, wait two business days for your records to be updated so that DMV may verify your name electronically. Nevada requirements are listed here; other states are similar. For more information visit or call (702) 486-4368.

  • Existing Real ID or Standard License: You may present your current license or ID, certified Marriage Certificate and Social Security Card with your new name.
  • First-time Real ID Applicants: You must present your certified Marriage Certificate, Social Security Card with your new name, U.S. birth certificate or passport or immigration documents, and two documents to prove your residential address.

U.S. Passport

If you have a passport or will be applying for one, make sure you change your name on your Social Security Card or Driver’s License first.

  • In most cases, a certified birth certificate and government-issued ID with your new married name is the minimum requirement, but additional documentation may be required. For more information, visit or call (877) 487-2778

Download a PDF of the
 Changing Your Name instructions

Sign up for Clark County Newsletters

Subscribe today to get your neighborhood news